Website City of Eagle Grove
Job Title: Wastewater Operator Department: Sewer Department
Reports To: Wastewater Superintendent FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Date: August 22, 2023 Status: Full-time
Summary of Duties: The City of Eagle Grove “population 3,601” is currently looking for applicants to work in our new Grade 4 Water Reclamation Facility.
This person will be working with the Wastewater Superintendent and lead operator to assist in the day-to-day operations of the WRF; as well as maintaining the City’s lift stations. This person will also assist with public works tasks as needed.
- Assist in operation and monitoring of new water reclamation facility to assure proper operation of equipment, repairs, and optimum treatment of wastewater.
- Collect wastewater samples and perform lab tests under the direction of superintendent.
- Clean clarifiers, wet wells, elevated tanks to keep facility clean and aesthetically pleasing to visitors and city officials.
- Assist in installation of wastewater equipment including pumps, valves, meters.
- Assist Street dept. in repairs to manholes and sewer mains.
- Load, haul, and unload heavy materials and heavy objects used in public works.
- Be able to lift over 50 lbs.
- Read, record and calculate readings from flow meters and pumps, control panel hours, levels and gauges to adequately monitor wastewater plant processes.
- Perform building and ground maintenance including mowing, painting, trimming, and small repairs.
- Periodically inspect and maintain lift station as needed for proper operation of station.
- Assist in documentation of daily logs of plant operations.
- Perform minor repair and maintenance to wastewater treatment equipment and generators.
- Assist in the city’s biosolids removal plan by hauling and spreading wastewater sludges “seasonally”.
- Be able to operate heavy equipment (backhoe, loader, dump truck, vac/jet truck)
- Perform work in all public works departments as assigned.
- Assist Street dept. in tree removal, snow removal, and other public works related activities when not busy at wastewater plant.
- Perform basic construction work as needed including, work on municipal buildings, wiring, welding, plumbing and painting.
- Perform work in a safe and timely manner according to OSHA regulations and procedures.
- Perform routine custodial duties necessary to keep plant buildings and ground in aesthetic conditions.
Entry Requirements and Skills
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of operation of electrical and mechanical equipment.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards associated with wastewater treatment and be able to work in a safe and timely manner.
- Ability to work independently and take responsibility for following previously outlined procedures.
- Work with others and in a team orientated setting.
- Work in inclement weather.
- Be available to work when emergency calls for it.
Required Special Requirements
- Shall be able to obtain a Grade 1 Wastewater treatment operator’s license issued by the state of Iowa within 12 months of employment.
- Shall be able to obtain a Grade II Wastewater treatment operator’s license issued by the state of Iowa within 3 years of employment.
- Shall obtain a valid Class B chauffeurs license with tanker endorsement issued by the state of Iowa with 6 months of employment.
- Will reside within 30 mins of the City of Eagle Grove.
- Will be called in periodically during off hours and to come in to perform necessary duties.
- Will work holidays and weekends when assigned as well as various shifts and hours to meet the needs of the wastewater and other public works departments.
- Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable qualified individuals the opportunity to work on the necessary functions of the job.
Equipment and Tools Used
- Power washer
- Portable pumps
- Wire welder
- Chain saws
The Wastewater Operator will be compensated based on experience and any appropriate certifications per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Benefits include, but are not limited to, overtime, call-back time, compensatory time, holidays, paid vacations, personal time, Health Savings Account, Dental/Eye Insurance, and Life Insurance.
Applications can be obtained at City Hall located at 121 N. Commercial Ave or at www.eaglegrove.gov. Interested parties can email their resume, cover letter and references to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org Any questions about the position or treatment process Call Nathan Brockman at 515-890-9159 for questions. The position is open until filled. First consideration of applications will take place immediately.
The City of Eagle Grove is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The City of Eagle Grove does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices based on race, sex, age, handicap, religion, natural origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above-listed items.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com